17th Airborne Division Headquarters
The 17th Airborne Division was activated 15 April 1943 at Camp Mackall, North Carolina under the command of Major General William Miley. After completing basic training, specialist training, and a variety of training maneuvers, the unit left with the Division for England on 17 August, 1944.
When the Division arrived in England, HQ was set up at Camp Chisledon, the 17th Airborne Division staging area, on 26 August, 1944. Flight and tactical training continued and night maneuvers were added to the training schedule. They remained in England until leaving for France in late December.
As part of the Division, the HQ Company engaged in the Ardennes, Rhineland, and Central Europe Campaigns.
Military government duties began 12 April, and active contact with the enemy ceased 18 April 1945. The division came under the XXII Corps on 24 April. It continued its occupation duties until 15 June, 1945 when it returned to France for redeployment. Many troopers were then transferred to the 82nd and 101st Airborne and for occupation duty in Berlin and Austria. Others joined the 13th Airborne Division, which returned to the US to be readied for the Pacific. The remainder of the division was deactivated on 15 September, 1945 at Camp Miles Standish, Massachusetts.
17th Airborne Parachute Maint. Company
139th Airborne Engineer Company
155th Airborne Anti-Aircraft Battalion
193rd Glider Infantry Regiment
194th Glider Infantry Regiment
224th Airborne Medical Company
411th Airborne Quartermaster Company
464th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion
466th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion
507th Parachute Infantry Regiment
513th Parachute Infantry Regiment
517th Airborne Signal Company
680th Glider Field Artillery Battalion
681st Glider Field Artillery Battalion
717th Airborne Ordnance Company
Military Police Platoon
389th Quartermaster Company (attached)
550th Infantry Airborne Battalion (attached)